Friday, July 2, 2010

Current events

Lots of other activities have slowed down (but not stopped!) my decluttering in the last couple of weeks.  D and I have been working on the garage together, where the clutter included an entire car we weren't using.  I got over my fear of the basement and will start going through that amazing collection soon.

I take scientific note of the fact that several weeks after clearing out the frightening closet in the Helpful People area of the house (a feng shui thing), I've had some great opportunities given to me by some very generous folks, most of whom are pretty new in my life.  Coincidence?  More experimentation is needed.  But who cares?  I have a clean closet AND some cool new friends.  It's all good.

Had a great little piece of reinforcement today.  A few weeks ago I took an armload of books and magazines off my shelves and brought them to my meditation group.  I told everybody to take whatever interested them and keep it or pass it around.   Today a friend told me that she was finding one of those books enormously beneficial.  I think if books can be happy, this one probably is.  It's being read and loved instead of just gathering respectful dust in my house.

So I started thinking about being not an endpoint but a way-station for stuff.  Possessions, money, ideas, energy all pass through me on their way to someone else.  I get the benefit as they go through, but so do others.

I remembered how my meditation teacher used to say of her talks, "Take what you need and set the rest aside for consideration later."  I think I may have been taking that statement too literally!  D phrased it better just now:  "Take what you need and pass on the rest."  I love that.  He also pointed out that one of the most successful people we know seems to operate that way all the time.

Keeping current, keeping in the flow.  What an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment